Snohomish barber ordered again to stop
SNOHOMISH — Stag Barber and Styling, on Avenue D, is still in a fight with the state Department of Licensing (DOL).
On Jan. 8, the DOL sent the Stag’s main barber, Bob Martin, a cease-and-desist letter because the state revoked his personal license to cut hair and he is operating the Stag without a salon shop license. Martin has until Jan. 28 to respond, DOL spokeswoman Christine Anthony said Tuesday, Jan. 19.
Barber shops are open now at limited capacities, but were shut down statewide temporarily in spring 2020 as a COVID-19 restriction. Martin publicly resumed giving haircuts on May 1 because he needed money after being closed for five weeks, which both got him in trouble and made him a champion figure for anti-government pushback to closure mandates.
Martin’s cosmetology license was ordered suspended by the DOL on Thursday, May 7 and later his license was revoked for 10 years. The state also fined him a total of $90,000 last year for continuing to cut hair without a license, Anthony said.
A cease-and-desist can result in fines, the DOL’s Anthony said.
The state Department of Revenue continued to list the Stag’s city business license as “active” as of Thursday, Jan. 21.
He opened in 1969 as the first tenant of the Snohomish Square shopping plaza on Avenue D.
Calling all Snohomians
Who’s the oldest Snohomish Panther still around? Maybe it’s your relative? Maybe it’s you? The Tribune wants to find out. Tell us who you think it is: write to P.O. Box 499, Snohomish, WA 98291, email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 360-568-4121.
Watch for the Jan. 25 Tribune to
see some recognitions.
Check out our online publications!