Tribune Logo
facebook Logo Come see us on Facebook














What happened in Monday's U.S. 2 crash?

SNOHOMISH — She went across the center lane, and he swerved left into the opposing lane to avoid her and lost his load of logs. A line of subsequent cars then appear to have piled in.
A rough picture on what happened in Monday's six-car crash on U.S. 2 emerged late last night in the Washington State Patrol's press report. The crash happened on a straight stretch between 88th Street and Highway 9 at milepost 7, near the Three Lakes Road
A Snohomish driver, a 68-year-old woman, had veered across the center line in her Lincoln SUV while heading eastbound. The logging truck driver was heading westbound and swerved left, into opposing traffic, to avoid hitting her oncoming car.
The truck's swerve caused two trailers of logs to tip over and many spread across the road. A group of four vehicles heading eastbound behind the Lincoln SUV also hit the logging truck.
A black Toyota pickup truck, driven by a 19-year-old Sultan woman, hit the logs. She was flown out to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Her 1994 Toyota ended up in the middle of U.S. 2 with visible buckling to the passenger cabin.
The Snohomish driver in the Lincoln was injured and taken to Providence Medical Center Everett. A 4-year-old Snohomish girl riding in the Lincoln was unharmed. The report is not clear how the 2005 Lincoln Aviator -- a variant to the Ford Explorer -- ended up rolling over well off the road.
A 36-year-old Marysville man driving a 2010 Ford Econoline van and his 52-year-old passenger were also both injured; both were taken to Providence. The van ended up in a berm with front end damage, from pictures from the scene. It was from a Monroe electrical company.
Uninjured were the people in two other passenger vehicles as well as the logging truck's driver, the Washington State Patrol reports.
The Washington State Patrol reports that charges are pending, but do not indicate on whom.
Everyone in the crash reportedly was wearing their seatbelts.
The crash on Monday, Jan. 8 happened around 11:30 a.m. The road was closed for a little more than six hours while cleanup and analysis was conducted.


Check out our online Publications!

Best seen in the Firefox or Chrome browsers