Man blows off hand among July 4 mishaps
Photo courtesy Snohomish County Fire District 7
Firefighters work to put out a house fire on July 4 in the 20100 block of Old
Owen Road in Monroe.
SNOHOMISH COUNTY — Around the county, fire departments and police agencies were kept busy with incidents related to
fireworks for last week’s Fourth of July holiday.
Apart from the sparkling fireworks, it wasn’t pretty.
The most serious incident Everett police and fire responded to
was a man who accidentally blew his hand off with a sparkler bomb.
“We administered aid and transported him to Harborview, it was a significant injury,” Everett Fire Marshal Leroy McNulty said. “He blew his hand off, and also had wire in his neck, his ear drum was blown out and bleeding, he was in severe
shock. He was lucky to have survived that.”
McNulty said the man was expected to recover. A call to Harborview
on the man’s condition was not returned by press time.
There was also a bomb squad call for a sparkler bomb that had been thrown beneath a city street sweeper truck. “It didn’t go off, thankfully,” McNulty said. “We brought in the bomb squad and they got it, but that was a dangerous situation, and had it gone off, those sparkler bombs are devastatingly damaging.”
McNulty confirmed that such high-powered, homemade fireworks are definitely illegal in the greater Snohomish County area.
Fireworks are illegal in the city of Everett, but people still set
Everett Police spokesman Officer Aaron Snell said there were two
citations issued on the Fourth of July, as well as 192 calls for service related to fireworks, 582 calls total for
the day, and police seized between 80 and 100 pounds of fireworks.
In Snohomish, where fireworks are still legal in town, Fire District 4 dispatched to 32 emergency calls for service on the Fourth of July through 6 a.m. the next day.
“That’s triple our normal response,” Fire District 4 Chief Ron Simmons said. Of those calls, 21 were for EMS and Fire and 11 of those calls were automatic aid to assist other fire districts: District 7 in Monroe, District 8 in Lake Stevens, and the city of Everett Fire Department.
“In (our) District we had nine fire calls, several of those were
attributed to the use of fireworks,” Simmons said. “We also had nine EMS responses, none related to fireworks, where we transported three patients to the hospital.”
There was a residential structure fire in the 400 block of Pine Avenue which Simmons said was likely related to fireworks. One person was injured with burns.
The call for the structure fire came in a little after midnight July 5.
Fire crews had the fire contained by 12:33 a.m. A backyard outbuilding or shed as well as a neighbor’s boat were lost in the fire. The fire report stated the shed owner and neighbors tried putting the fire out with a garden hose. Total damages or loss is estimated around $19,000.
Fire District 7 covering Monroe and Clearview responded
to several fireworks-related incidents. According to District 7 spokeswoman Heather Chadwick, there were a total of 64 incidents and 18 were for mutual aid while 39
were for fire. It believes 22 of the calls were for fireworks and it is still compiling damage losses.
The fire district reported no firework-related injuries.
There was a structure fire around 9 p.m. in the 20100 block of Old
Owen Road. No injuries were reported, but the fire spread to the attic and Old Owen was closed for two hours. The residents were not home for the fire, Chadwick said.
There was also a grass fire
started by a firework in the 6400 block of 123rd Avenue SE toward the Three Lakes area. The fire was slow-moving and crews were able to put it out.
Fireworks are formally banned in Brier, Edmonds, Everett, Gold Bar, Lynnwood, Marysville, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo and Woodway.
» Send us your thoughts with a letter to the editor, click here
Check out our online Publications!
Best seen in the Firefox or Chrome Browsers.